Pilgrimage

Pilgrimage to Fátima

Pilgrimage to Fátima

Share button Share

Available pilgrimages

Description


The Tourism > Patriarchate Lisbon provides some useful information and advice to better prepare a pilgrimage on foot to Fátima. In the points dedicated to the churches, you can check the schedules celebrations (Mass, Adoration, Reconciliation and Rosary).

Lisboa - Vila Franca de Xira (32km)

Sé Patriarcal Sé Patriarcal

The dedication of the mother church of the Patriarchate of Lisbon, under the invocation of Saint Mary Major (Santa Maria Maior), took place in 1147 after the reconquest of the city against the Moorish. The Cathedral shows Romanesque and Gothic style characteristics, complemented with interventions carried out in the course of centuries, notably Baroque and Neoclassical interventions, having undergone profound reintegration works in mid-20th Century. Emphasis should be given to the Romanesque façade with two towers, portico and rose window; the Bartolomeu de Joanes Gothic chapel; the irregular Gothic cloister with archaeological remains of different periods; the ambulatory with its radiating chapels; the Nativity by Machado de Castro; and other spaces like the sacristy, the Patriarch’s private room and the treasury, with a rich collection of gold pieces and ecclesiastic garments. Saint Anthony of Lisbon, or of Padua, was baptised in this Baptismal Font in 1195.

Nossa Senhora dos Mártires Nossa Senhora dos Mártires

This church was built straight after the reconquest of Lisbon, in 1147, on the site of a Crusaders’ cemetery – the martyrs who helped King Afonso Henriques conquer the city – for their devotion to the city’s rechristening. The church has, thus, been known as the Church of Our Lady of Martyrs, whose statue is worshipped in the chancel; the church received the titled of Basilica in the 13th Century. After the earthquake, the church was dedicated in 1784 and constitutes a true ex-libris of the rebuilding of Lisbon by the Marquis de Pombal, with Baroque and Neoclassical characteristics. Please note the altarpieces and the ceilings painted by Pedro Alexandrino, as well as the magnificent organ in the choir, by Machado e Cerveira.

Rua Garrett, 1200-203 LISBOA

GPS. 38.710677. -9.14144

T. +351213462465
E. bas.martires@sapo.pt

From June to October / € 10 (only one night) / Credential required.

Nossa Senhora da Conceição Velha Nossa Senhora da Conceição Velha

This church results from the rebuilding, after the 1755 earthquake, of the former Church of Our Lady of Mercy, the first headquarter of the Misericórdia in the country. Its façade is one of the best Manueline style masterpiece structures in Lisbon, together with the Jeronimos Monastery and the Belem Tower. Inside, you must see the chancel, which used to be the former side chapel of the Holy Spirit, built in 1594. The church hosts the sixteenth century statue of Our Lady of Restelo, before whom the Portuguese sailors, such as Vasco da Gama and Pedro Alvares Cabral, prayed before departing for the sea discoveries.

Madre de Deus Madre de Deus

Established by Queen Leonor in 1509, the Convent of the Mother of God was at first a simple building, but underwent, until the 18th Century, several works that have enriched it. From the 16th Century, the mudejar ceiling of the primitive chapel, the Manueline bell tower and the Mannerist architecture of the church are worth noting. The church and the two monastic choirs form one of the most magnificent sets of Portuguese Baroque art, due to the conjugation of the gilded wood carving with the tiles and the paintings of the walls and ceilings, by Bento Coelho da Silveira. The National Museum of the Tile is currently located in the convent.

Nossa Senhora dos Navegantes Nossa Senhora dos Navegantes

Dedicated in 2014 to Our Lady of Navigators, the church is the seat of the parish of Parque das Nações, the urban space developed a er the Expo’98. Its circular aspect stands out from the outside, with the cut-out cross above the portico of the church. The circular disposition of the wide temple causes the assembly to be facing the centre of the church, the altar. In the altarpiece, prominent at the back of the altar, represents the Trans guration of the Lord, anked by the Last Supper and the Wedding Feast at Cana.

Nossa Senhora da Saúde (Sacavém) Nossa Senhora da Saúde (Sacavém)

The chapel was first dedicated to Saint Andrew and was a dependency of a pilgrim hostel and a lazar house. Back from 1599, dates the first reference to the present invocation of Our Lady of Good Health, whose image according to tradition was found when a grave was being dug near the chapel during an outbreak of plague. The original building was demolished and rebuilt at the expense of the faithful in 1652 and again in 1756 after the earthquake, as the lintel above the door advertises. The high altar is made of carved and gilt baroque woodwork and shelters a late medieval image of the patron of fine sculptural quality.

Nossa Senhora da Purificação (Sacavém) Nossa Senhora da Purificação (Sacavém)

Built in 1596 this church originally belonged to the Convent of Our Lady of Conception and Martyrs, and only in 1863 it became Sacavém’s parish church, when it had its original patron changed to Our Lady of Purification. It is a soberly designed mannerist building with a lateral entrance and a bell tower, which features a niche with an image of the Virgin Mary. In the church’s interior one can see the images of Saint Michael and of Our Lady of Conception in the side altars, and a baptismal font, which according to legend was the dome of an ancient moorish fortification turned upside down.

São Sebastião da Granja São Sebastião da Granja

This church was founded in the 17th century and was a commandry of the Order of Christ. On the epistle’s side there is the Chapel of Saint Peter with its groin vault. In the single nave, one can see the high choir furnished with a wooden balustrade. A triumphal round arch precedes the chancel, which is covered by a barrel vault and has a gilt and painted carved wood retable with a camarin, where the altar throne is.

Largo de Alpriate, 13, Vialonga

GPS. 38.8628517, -9.0923887

T.  +351915595213

Nossa Senhora da Assunção (Vialonga) Nossa Senhora da Assunção (Vialonga)

The church of Our Lady of Assumption is located in Vialonga, in Vila Franca de Xira, and is considered classified heritage since 1993. The church has features from the 16th century, but mainly from the two following centuries, namely the carved woodwork of the high altar and of the two side altars. It is a single nave church, with 18th century tile panels depicting episodes of the life of the Virgin. In the sacristy, there are more 18th century tiles, canvases and a red marble lavabo from the 17th century.

Igreja Paroquial Sagrado Coração De Jesus
Rua da República 89, Forte da Casa

GPS. 38.873663, -9.0618427

T. +351219568420

São Pedro (Alverca do Ribatejo) São Pedro (Alverca do Ribatejo)

A igreja de São Pedro é a Igreja Matriz de Alverca do Ribatejo, no concelho de Vila Franca de Xira, situada em pleno centro histórico de Alverca, na sua zona mais elevada. Trata-se de uma igreja de três naves, cujo espólio móvel, retábulo, pinturas e estuque do teto datam do século XVIII. Apresenta ainda um conjunto azulejar seiscentista, em que estão representadas cenas da vida de São Pedro, entre as quais se destaca a Libertação de São Pedro pelo Anjo.

Nossa Senhora da Guia (Alhandra) Nossa Senhora da Guia (Alhandra)

This church, with its rectangular plan, has two main features in its interior. In the nave, one can see the two gilt and painted carved wood baldachins, holding the statues of Our Lady of Conception and that of the Crucified Christ. In the chancel, 17th century carpet style tile panels cover the sidewalls.

São João Baptista (Matriz de Alhandra) São João Baptista (Matriz de Alhandra)

The original church was founded by Cardinal Dom Henrique, in 1558, and it was considered an imposing temple for its artistic refinement and for the fact it stood 200 meters above the town. In 1887 the church suffered a massive fire and had to be completely rebuilt. The present church shows a façade of a plain architectural design, devoid of decorative elements. Its interior, however, houses a rich collection of sacred art from the 17th and 18th century. Some objects belong to the ancient church, other came from Lisbon churches, all of them of great artistic quality.

Nossa Senhora da Conceição do Portal (Alhandra) Nossa Senhora da Conceição do Portal (Alhandra)

This chapel was donated by Cardinal Dom Henrique in the 16th century and underwent major changes in the beginning of the 20th. Inside, one can see the gilt and painted carved wood retable, with a niche housing the statue of the patron, Our Lady of Conception, surmounted by two supporter angels sculpted on wood.

Vila Franca de Xira - Azambuja (20km)

São Vicente (Matriz de Vila Franca de Xira) São Vicente (Matriz de Vila Franca de Xira)

This church, dedicated to Saint Vincent, was founded in 1667 and was originally belonged to the Third Order of Saint Francis. In the 1755 earthquake this church got badly damaged, as well as the main parish church. It was decided then to rebuilt this one and instal the parish seat here. In the 20th century it underwent further reconstruction works. Inside one can see Council Chapel, with a painted ceiling, where a collection of sacred art and some 19th century tile panels are housed.

Misericórdia de Vila Franca de Xira Misericórdia de Vila Franca de Xira

The church of Santa Casa da Misericórdia in Vila Franca de Xira dates from the 16th century. Despite some damage caused by the 1755 earthquake, the church keeps its original layout. The main features of the nave are the high choir, the pulpit, the gilt carved wood side altars and the 18th century tile panels depicting the Works of Mercy. In the chancel, one can see the Baroque retable and the tile panels, which cover the sidewalls and depict the Visitation, on the Epistle side, and Our Lady of Mercy, on the Gospel side.

Mártires São Sebastião (Vila Franca de Xira) Mártires São Sebastião (Vila Franca de Xira)

This church dedicated to the Martyr Saint Sebastian was founded in 1576 by order of King Sebastian, as a votive offering for healing after the great plague of 1569. The 1755 earthquake considerably damaged the original church, so that the present building is the result of a reconstruction in the second half of the 18th century. The church’s façade has a simple design, which features a broken volute pediment. In its interior, one can see the chancel with its painted stucco reliefs in the vault and its Rococo retable, made of polychrome and gilt carved wood, surmounted by the town’s arms and housing the 18th century statue of the patron.

Santa Marta (Matriz de Vila Nova da Rainha) Santa Marta (Matriz de Vila Nova da Rainha)

In this church of Saint Martha was the marriage of Dona Leonor de Alvim with Dom Nuno Álvares Pereira, Constable of the Realm. The church was rebuilt in the 16th century in a mannerist style and features two renaissance portals allowing access to the interior of the temple. There is also a set of tile panels of great value and interest, which depict episodes of the life of Saint Martha, patron saint of those who serve the most needy.

Azambuja - Santarém (33km)

Nossa Senhora da Assunção (Matriz de Azambuja) Nossa Senhora da Assunção (Matriz de Azambuja)

The church of Saint Mary of the Assumption was built in the first half of the 16th century and conforms with the Portuguese Mannerist style. It was later enriched with Portuguese style carved woodworking from the late 16th or the early 17th century. The noble decoration of the southern portal, facing the square, stands out. In its interior, one can see the double pattern carpet style tile panels and, in the side altars, a Tree of Jesse painted on wood by Simão Rodrigues in 1595, and an oil painting on canvas depicting the Calvary, from the early 17th century, attributed to André Reinoso or his school.

Senhor Jesus da Misericórdia (Azambuja) Senhor Jesus da Misericórdia (Azambuja)

This church belongs to the Confraternity of Our Lord Jesus of Mercy, in Azambuja, and has its origins in the turn from the 13th to the 14th century, when the members of the Confraternity of the Holy Spirit founded a hospital with that same invocation. Dedicated to give support to pilgrims, travellers and poor sick people, the Confraternity of the Holy Spirit was, during the first hundred years of its existence, the first and only charity and cultural institution in the town.

Praça do Município, nº10, Azambuja

GPS. 39.0804757, -8.881178

T. +351263418495 / +351967100810 / +351925082993

Largo da Igreja, 2070-514 Valada

GPS. 39.0825633, -8.7581259

T. +351243749367

Santarém - Nascente do Alviela (28 km)

Largo Cândido dos Reis, 17, Santarém

GPS. 39.233452, -8.6889025

T. +351243305260

Rua Cláudio Manuel Libanio Duarte, 2005-099 Azoia de Baixo

GPS. 39.2988866, -8.7090595

T. +351926743695

Rua da Escola, 2000 Advagar

GPS. 39.3526027, -8.7127351

T. +351964115073

Nascente do Alviela - Fátima (28,5 km)

Praia Fluvial dos Olhos d'Água do Alviela - Louriceira, 2380-450 Alcanena

GPS. 39.4449173, -8.7126385

T. +351249881805

E. alviela.cienciaviva.pt

Rua José M. Calado, Monsanto

GPS. 39.461198, -8.7102749

T. +351967986081 / +351249879070

Salão Paroquial Ana Sonsa
Rua António Roque Gameiro, 2395-138 Minde

GPS. 39.5169127,-8.6864268

T. +351914781849

Nossa Senhora do Rosário de Fátima Nossa Senhora do Rosário de Fátima

The Shrine of our Lady of the Rosary of Fatima is the answer to the call of Our Lady of the Rosary, already alluded to on August 13, 1917 and expressly asked in the apparition of  October 13, of that year to Lucia de Jesus, Francisco Marto and Jacinta Marto: «I want to tell you that a chapel is to be built here in my honour. I am the Lady of the Rosary» (Fist Memoir of Sister Lucia). The little chapel was constructed in 1919 in the place of the apparitions of 1917 at the Cova da Iria and, since then, the place of the Shrine was built up, in response to a significant inflow of pilgrims.

T. +351249539600

E. sepe@fatima.pt

I. www.santuario-fatima.pt

Follow us

Follow us in the social networks