Opened for worship in 1705, the church was greatly affected by the 1755 earthquake. It was then renovated and reopened in 1763. The façade exhibits an elegant late Baroque portico with the bust of the Virgin in an oval medallion. In the Baroque interior, the highlights are the chancel, a master piece of King João V wood carving, the two pulpits made of carved wood imitating marble and the wood ceiling painted in perspective, attributed to António Lobo, depicting the Coronation of Our Lady. From the collection of painting and sculpture, the statue of Our Lady attributed to Claude Laprade is notable.