Nossa Senhora do Carmo

Nossa Senhora do Carmo

Share button Share


The Third Order of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (also named Lay Carmelites) has its chapel in the adjacent Carmo Convent, which had been founded in 1389 by Saint Nuno de Santa Maria and whose the ruins are still there. After the 1755 earthquake, the Lay Carmelites settled in the building where the chapel lays from 1789 until today. The pediment has the initials of Ave Maria and the coat of arms of the Third Order; inside, the church offers rich gilded woodcarving. The mortal remains of Saint Nuno de Santa Maria, the Holy Constable, are kept here, in a silver coffin.

Follow us

Follow us in the social networks