Originally dedicated to Saint Anthony the Great, the ancient church included the building donated in 1542 by King João II to the Society of Jesus, thus becoming the first house owned by the Society worldwide. The first Jesuit school in Portugal opened here in 1553, being called the “Small School” (“Coleginho”) after the number of students required them to transfer classes to a larger building. In 1950, after the demolition of the ancient church, the Parish of Nossa Senhora do Socorro was transferred to this church. Besides the image of the Patroness, the temple hosts the worshipped image of Our Lady of Guia. The 16th Century cloister and the sacristy, with its chest of drawers and tile panels depicting an unusual apotheosis of Saint Augustine and scenes from the life of Saint Anthony the Great, are worth a visit.