The original church was founded by Cardinal Dom Henrique, in 1558, and it was considered an imposing temple for its artistic refinement and for the fact it stood 200 meters above the town. In 1887 the church suffered a massive fire and had to be completely rebuilt. The present church shows a façade of a plain architectural design, devoid of decorative elements. Its interior, however, houses a rich collection of sacred art from the 17th and 18th century. Some objects belong to the ancient church, other came from Lisbon churches, all of them of great artistic quality.